Monday, February 25, 2008

A night out.

I was out with friends in the city. Over all it was a good night and we all had a lot of fun. However there was a point that I looked at everything and couldn't help but think about how sad it was.

We were upstairs at a pub in the city and there was a band playing. To me there's just something sad about a cover band. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with playing some covers, but when your band's name is "Mimic", you don't seem to be aiming very high. A lot of the joy in playing music* is creating. It's expressing yourself in a really deep way that you can't with words or any other medium so, when the band is just copying what others have made, it's a bit sad that they are missing out on such a massive, and fantastic part of it.
Then there was the audience. We were clearly the youngest people there and our average age was 20. So often you hear people saying how sad it is to see drunken youth, but to me it's way more pathetic seeing thirty year old people getting smashed. Youth is the time that you test the boundary and explore the world, find yourself and your place in the world. If there's ever a time to drink to much it's then, not when your thirty. By then you're meant to be matured and responsible, I'm not saying no fun, but surely past thinking that it'll be a good idea to drinking so much that you spill your drink on everyone else on the dance floor and then fall over.
Then, as I looked over the band trying to hold on to their dreams playing to the adults trying to hold on to their youth, I noticed the saddest person in the pub. He was standing up the back alone. This fella** was clearly with a group but was not part of it as he was the only one not having a great time. All he could do was sit back and watch because*** he could not just let go and have a good time. He was to caught up in feeling superior to everyone by sitting back and judging them.

But before long we left there**** and we continued having a good night. I did see the people for that pub again. But I'm sure I will before long.



*this is of cause all just my opinion. But as this in my blog, tough luck, if you don't like it go write your own.

**I really like the word "fella". I want to use it more often.

*** this was just to have a third footnote.

****And by left I mean half the group left because one of us got thrown out for being a drunken mess and falling on people (while dancing. and not on the dance floor anymore). Then the other half left shortly after. I guess this one makes that last footnote even more pointless.

2 comments:

B.C. said...

"If there's ever a time to drink to much it's then, not when your thirty."

I initially read this as, "If there's ever a time to drink too (note spelling correction) much it's then, not when you're thirsty." I was outraged, thinking, "Surely it's more appropriate to drink when you're thirsty than just because you're young."

...then I re-read it, and was embarassed. The end of a useless comment.

some girl said...

Yay! Spelling correction! People get annoyed when I correct their spelling... so I usually just shut up.

Yes, this is a sad business, this alcohol and drunkenness.
Drunk people rarely give me happiness. The times when they do is just because they're funny to laugh at.