Friday, May 9, 2008

An annoyed blog

I have just quite the deakin hall soccer team. This sucks. I was loving playing soccer, which I haven't done properly since grade five. And playing a team sport was great. However, it was not good for me. Two people had control of the team and their use of the power was enraging. I was listed in the squad for the second game, then sat on the bench the whole time with out getting a run. Their excuse was that they had a lot of players for not many positions and the player in my position was playing well. Annoying yes, but I could take it. It is just 6 on 6 soccer played between halls, but if they want to take it ultra serious, whatever. I got a run in the next game i was picked in the squad, but only in the second half because the players on the bench sitting right behind the two in control were bitching about the lack of fair rotation. After this I was feeling better. I was not happy about how I got on the field, but I got a run and I held my own. i actually thing that for a non-soccer player I did really well. I set up one goal and I had the opposition struggling. Then tonight hit. I turned up for the game and played from the start. The game was tight, no one scored in the first half. Then, about five/ten minutes in to the second half, I was pulled. Normally I could handle that no worries. I'm not the best player ever, but they didn't pull me for someone better. They didn't even pull me for a quality player, or someone in the squad. They put on one of there friends, an over weight middle aged man who smokes a lot!
That was it. I was made enough at not getting a run in my first game but I had made my peace. This was to much. If they're going to take it that serious then don't pull me, a very competitive player that had more run than anyone else out there for a man that only covered a tenth of the small field and only got 3 kicks, just because he is your friend.

I was fuming. I have not been that angry in ages. I know it's not that big of a deal, but I was feeling quite wronged. I was talking to people about it and someone suggested that I should quite. I didn't want to, as that would just mean that I miss out on playing soccer and it wouldn't hurt the people who had wronged me as they had lots of players. Then, as I climbed down, I realized that pulling out of the team was the right thing. I had sworn about this more than I had in total in the last year or two. And as they say, if your right hand causes you trouble, cut it off. I didn't need this. I play other team sport and I get plenty of exercise. I'm better off stepping back and removing the thing that is getting me all annoyed.

I may still end up playing more games. There is other people involved in running the team that I get along with, and many others that are unhappy with the way things are, so you never know.

On a more positive note, I saw Bliss n Eso on thursday. They played on campus with True Live, The Funkoars and the Winnie Coppers. It was good and I much enjoyed it. Plus a mate from home came up to the show as it was good seeing him. However, I have a line from one the bands in my head. "I can still breathe, I am still blessed". I think it was by the Winnie Coppers, but I listened to there whole CD and nothing! If anyone can help, that would be great.

7 comments:

Kyla said...

Hi Dave,
That sucks about soccer, but I think the decision you've made sounds really healthy and I'm glad you could see what the best option was and be humble and intelligent enough to do it.

Also, that lyric is from Success by the Winnie Coopers. The song's on their Myspace.. www.myspace.com/thewinniecoopers

B.C. said...

I'm amused that Kyla looked up the lyrics.

Soccer stuff does suck, I've played with lots of people that have been like that. Admittedly, I may have been a bit unfair on some occasions too, when my competitive side gets the best of me. No excuse really.

Thursday night was sweet. Bliss n Eso are awesome. But seriously. The Sea Is Rising is the best song on the album. Deal with it.

Kyla said...

Yes, well I have a lot of time on my hands and very little to do. Google has become my friend. Any more missions for me, captain?

David said...

yes, prove to Ben that eye of the storm is immencely better than the sea is rising.

And i was very surprised you found it. I was expecting maybe ben, but not really.

and ben, I to get way to compettive, I think that was part of the problem.

B.C. said...

Admission: If I had read your blog before Kyla, I would have searched too.

But still, Sea is Rising is much better. Can you dig that?

David said...

No, no i can not dig that. It is a top song, i'll give you that, but it is in no way better than eye of the storm.

I would also like to note that i a saw an add for 100 to 1 today where they were counting down songs, and i was thinking that it's foolish ranking something that is so subjective. But still....
eye of the storm is better

Daph said...

That's very unfair- if it caused you so much anger maybe it was better to quit- I know some people don't like to quit, but if it's going to be a negative factor or influence maybe it's better to do it so you can focus on people/activities who'll appreciate your time.

I play indoor (5 on 5) every week with my friends from school- everyone just has fun and everyone gets a go, it's brilliant. However, it can get pretty pricy, it's $77 a game- but there's none of that power-play stuff you had to put up with :)