Sunday, January 20, 2008

The one with none before it.

You may have picked from the title that this is my first blog. Also that I have been watching to much friends. I have started this blog for a few reason.

Firstly, and mainly because my linguistic abilities are poor. This sounds like a bad reason to start a blog, but I am hoping that if I force myself to keep writing, then they will improve. It's not that I desperately need a better way with the words now. I have got by so far, and I'm a science student anyway, it's mainly numbers for me. However, I was thinking about the George Orwell novel nineteen eighty-four. That is where "Big Brother" came from, and in the story, Big Brother was thinning out the dictionary. The idea was that if the population didn't know the word, they could not formulate the idea. For example, if they didn't know any negative words like bad or poor, they could not complain, and if they didn't know the work "free" they can't realise that they are not. That got me thinking, if i had a better grasp of the language, would my thoughts be more elaborate or complex. What ideas and thoughts have passed me by because I was not able to form them in my mind. Would I be more able to grasp the feeling of awe at the night sky or the joy that a good song brings.
(Interesting side note for all you rage fans, 1984 was quoted in the song Testify. 'who controls the past, controls the future. who controls the present, controls the past')

My second reason is that the idea of writing something that people might actually read scares me to bits. And I try whenever I can to do thing that fill me with fear. Not only is it great fun, but i believe it helps you grow and become a better person.

Third reason, everyone else was doing it! And you know me, anything to fit in.... well not really.... I hope?

Anyway, that's the first one over, who knows what is to come.

End.

2 comments:

B.C. said...

Good.

Firstly, good luck with getting better, hope it works out. Next year, I'll have a spelling bee against you. Also, enjoyed the RATM note.

Are you scared of tigers? What about tigers with a bear strapped to their backs and two bulls strapped to the sides? Try wrestling one. No matter what side you've rolled it on, it's standing up. Unless, of course, the weight is too much for one of the animals... but that would be ridiculous.

Third. Yes.

Good luck with your blog adventures. I just subtly stole your blog's virginity. Violated? Never. I'll send you a receipt for it.

some girl said...

Legendary.

First reason = doubleplusgood. Blogging and other things are good for this type of stuff.

Second reason = That's cool, are you scared now because you have two comments on something you've written? Bet we scared your socks off.

Third reason = Conformist! Oh wait... I did the same thing a year ago...

Good luck with your blogging endeavours & such!